Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Made it!

I don't have pictures. Sorry. Too busy unpacking. We are in our rental...in Allandale...a part of Austin I didn't know existed when I was in college. It is "north central" and a much closer commute for Brent than my dad's place.

Shout out to my family who helped move us in: Kolin, Marcus, Ryder, Catherine, Dad, Patricia (who babysat), and to Carter- who showed up late enough to miss unloading the truck, but long enough to lose his keys for an hour and a half....most of which was spent rearranging my furniture. Big thank you to Heather, who entertained Emory while I drove from Denver. She was fabulous, and she helped me get the house in order VERY quickly. Her Tubular Taco was well deserved- of course I've already been to Hula Hut.

We're happy, very air conditioned, and somewhat settled. Emory and I are about to venture out to explore the neighborhood "POOOOOOL." We are enjoying the live music already (Emory danced to an old timey country band last night at Waterloo during dinner), and are loving Texas hospitality. EVERYONE is so friendly. I'm very thankful to be back in such a talkative place. I fit right in.

Everything is great....except the cockroaches. I now remember that I once thought, "It's worth putting up with the winters in Colorado to avoid the cockroaches of Texas," which are Texas sized and sometimes fly. They are terrible. And they are holding my dishwasher hostage. I've waited 5 years to have a dishwasher again, and there's a live one in there. I told him he could have it. I killed his brother last night (but had Brent remove the remains) and I think he's mad at me. I'm basically staying on the far side of the kitchen. The exterminator will be here tomorrow, so I'm sure I can wait to do dishes until then.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are here and also glad that I came over after the exterminator did.

    ReplyDelete